Friday, July 9, 2010

COIN by Ke$ha

Until today, I confess that I wasn't familiar with the pop artist known as Kesha.*

*Who is apparently actually known as Ke$ha. I have no idea why. Not exactly to my taste musically.**
*Always been more of a fan of classic 70's and 80's music myself. Journery, Foreigner, Bon Jovi, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Guns 'n Roses....these are just some of the bands that populate my iTunes playlists. What can I say? My musically formative years were between 1975 and 1988.

However, this video from the IDF on patrol in Hebron is still worth watching.



I have no doubt that the squad leader will probably lose his job over this, and the rest of the squad will face disciplinary action. Still, I can't help but smile at the way young soldiers in every conflict try to make it their own and express a little optimism and individuality despite their conditions.

Incidentally, their patrol techniques suck, but I assume that's a result of pre-staging this video. I like to think the IDF can do it better than this.

Update: As it turns out, the two squad leaders responsible for the video have been disciplined by the IDF. Their punishment for making a dance video? To make an educational video for their fellow soldiers about NOT making dance videos. Hey, at least you can't say that the IDF isn't embracing Web 2.0. (thanks to the anonymous commenter for the tip to the update)

5 comments:

dmouse said...

Enjoyed that.Your music list is just about the same as mine.yeah there better than that. :)

Anonymous said...

They actually have to make an "anti-dancing" video. Not making this up.

http://mashable.com/2010/07/08/tik-tok-soldiers-punishment/

dmouse said...

Awe that's somewhat a shame.must avoid having and making fun at ones self.

Active said...

Their commanders must have seen "footloose".
Dancing is the work of the devil.

Michael Hawkins said...

I was born in '87 and my taste in music includes all of those bands with Alice Cooper placed firmly on number one

Don't really matter when your "formative years" were, good music is good.

...

I'm also very fond of Aqua, toy box and European bubblegum pop ... so there's that though ...